Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Star Trekkin': An Introduction



I'm not sure if you could tell from my 283,403 television references in other posts, but I'm kind of a tv junkie. My all-time favorite television franchise is Star Trek, hands-down. I grew up watching Star Trek: Voyager with my mom, and when I was old enough to work a remote, I started watching reruns of The Next Generation. I've seen every episode of these two series at least a handful of times each. Nothing makes me more pumped about my day than seeing a rerun of TNG on BBCAmerica. I never really got into Deep Space Nine, but I have been assured that it's great as well. At some point I'll get around to watching all of DSN, but right now I'd like to talk about the original - STAR TREK.

Back in the pre-DVD days, owning an entire season of any television show was unheard of. Can you imagine the amount of space you'd need to store all of those VHS tapes?! I could be wrong, but I don't even remember that being an option. The best you could do was read the tv guide in the newspaper (remember when that was a thing??) and hope to record the episodes you wanted to see. This long-winded venture into the past is my excuse for why I had never seen the original series before I was in college. That sounds a little bit like not watching the original Star Wars movies until after seeing the new ones. But... the Star Trek universe is a little different - these sequels didn't suck! In fact, (and don't hate me for this) I actually like them better than the original. But let's not get into that right now.

I just started listening to a podcast (Mission Log) that goes through each episode of the original series and just talks about what was going on, what themes were introduced, Gene Roddenberry's character/planet/species notes, sexism/racism in Hollywood at the time that shows up in various episodes, how some ideas flopped in the original show and became a success in later series, etc. And it's super interesting! When I watched the show in college, I just plowed through all of the episodes, laughed at some of the special effects and terrible acting, and moved on. Now I want to give it another shot - and take you guys along for the ride! Don't worry, this won't become the Star Trek Only blog. Probably once a week or so I'll spew some random tidbits about the episode I just watched, complete with hilarious pictures. Hopefully you guys will be inspired to watch along with me, but these posts will still be hilarious if you don't. I hope. Every Star Trek series is available on Netflix instant, and I highly recommend that you add them to your queue immediately.

Live long and prosper.  _\\//


Next episode: Pilot - The Cage

No comments:

Post a Comment