Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fight for Football!

Dear NFL players, coaches, and owners;

I love football. All football – Pop Warner, middle school, high school, college, and pro – all of it. And it’s getting close to football time. Almost.

It seems like most fans start getting a little antsy around July/August. By now baseball is getting a little tiresome, especially if you can tell that your team won’t be making a play-off run (mine won’t). It’s 104 degrees in the shade, and all I want to do is head to the stadium, stand for 3 hours in the blazing sun, and yell my brains out while giant men clobber each other. Is that too much to ask?

I don’t really understand what you guys are waiting for. I know that there have been a lot of issues regarding rookie salaries, compensation for veteran players, and how to split up the revenue, but is this really so important that it should deprive me, and the rest of America, of enjoying the game? I believe the answer you are searching for is "No!"

I am a (former) poor, starving college student. But every year I scraped up enough cash to buy season tickets to the Longhorn football games. And I attended every single one. Even last year when we went through a bit of a rough patch. It would be my dream come true if I could get season tickets to a Bears game. Unfortunately there's a zillion year wait-list, and even if I got to the top sometime in my lifetime, I probably could never afford them. And that's disgusting.

When did football stop being about the fans? I mean, I guess I understand that you want to make as much money as you can - that's the American way! But when you start fighting about money so much so that we might have to miss a few games (or the whole season!) then I believe that you need to get your priorities straight.

Even though I am incredibly frustrated at the prospect of a year without football, I remain a true fan. Get your act together guys, and let's end this lockout.

Sincerely,
A Forever-Fan 

No comments:

Post a Comment